Don Chedi

Don Chedi

Where : Suphanburi Province

Category : Travel / Attractions

Updated by : Admin

add-mykalenda

Hilight :

The monument was built to celebrate the triumph of King Naresuan the Great over Burma in the battle on elephant’s back in 1591. There is the annual fair to commemorate of the great heroic.

What / Why :

Prince Damrong Rajanubhab in 1913 discovered the remains of a large chedi within the district. He identified it as the one built by King Naresuan in 1593 after his win against the Burmese. The chedi was reconstructed in 1952. In 1959 a statue of the king on his war elephant cast by Silpa Bhirasri was added.

However, more recent research casts doubt on this identification. Although one of the chronicles explicitly places the battle at Suphanburi, the others don't give any clear location. The Dutch merchant Jeremias van Vliet, however, wrote in his Short History of the Kings of Siam in 1640 that the battle took place near Ayutthaya - which would make Chedi Phu Khao Thong the likely place of this battle.

The area of the district was originally part of Si Prachan district. It was established as a minor district (King Amphoe) on January 1 1962, consisting of the two tambon Don Chedi and Nong Sarai. It was upgraded to a full district on July 27 1965.

Don Chedi-2  

Transportation :

Top Attractions in

Suphan Buri

Samchuk Old Market

Samchuk Old Market

Location : Suphan Buri

Bueng Chawak

Bueng Chawak

Location : Suphan Buri

Sam Chuk, The 100 Years Market

Sam Chuk, The 100 Years Market

Location : Suphan Buri

Dragon Descendants Museum

Dragon Descendants Museum

Location : Suphan Buri